Sunday, April 02, 2006

Experimenting with self-made chess openings

This is a game I played in Yahoo Chess today, which I analysed with my chess teacher as well. I like it very much because I think its a great example of my new experiment. The experiment I am doing is playing the opening in unorthodox ways without having in mind a specific sequence of moves. I just reply the moves of the opponent in the way that looks logical to me. It is amazing how many different ways there are for opening a game. My opponent was not good but I also thought I was seeing threats that were not actually there. I won a piece but he had the opportunity of getting it back with a brilliant exchange of his rook with my knight (he could capture back my rook in move 26)

;Title: Yahoo! Chess Game
;White: x-opponent
;Black: viruswitch
;Date: Sun Apr 02 12:29:52 GMT 2006

1. g3 Nf6

I have no idea what kind of opening this is. I have noticed that it very popular among yahoo games chess players to make fianchetos from both side sometimes. So I thought of replying like in the kings indian.

2. Bg2 d5

But the I thought why not try to get the center since he is letting me do so? So I played d5. I wonder if any such opening exists.

3. d4 g6

I did not like his d4 move so I went on with the way the kings indian would have developed.

4. c3 Bg7
5. Nf3 Nd7

Initially I thought that this was a bad move because it blocks my bishop but I did not want to let the opponent place his knight in e5. My teacher said that it is not a bad move.

6. o-o b6

b6 because I want to get rid of the white pawn at d4. It also lets my bishop breath.

7. Na3 c5

His Na3 did put me into thoughts but I thought that it posed no serious threat and went on with my plan.

8. Bf4 cxd4

Of course the bishop now comes to add to the power of the white knight at a3. If
(9. Nb5 .... 10. Nc7 strikes doubly the king and the rook.) I dont know why I thought that he doesnt have this option and went on with my plan. I often see things on the board that are not really valid. That must be due to wrong visualization and calculation of the moves ahead.

9. Nb5 o-o

Now I saw the double strike and did another mistake in my calculation: I did not see that if the knight will occupy the square at c2 the white bishop cannot reach the square at b2 which gives me a free square for the rook. Well I did not see that and thought that I will have to give the rook for the knight. So I castled in order to avoid at least the double strike.

10. Nxd4 Bb7

Well, he did not see what I was seeing and probably did the right thing to get back his pawn.

11. Nb5 Rc8

The threat which "I thought" that was were is still valid so I played my rook at c8 and he captured my pawn.


12. Nxa7 Rc5

My teacher did not like the idea of the rook out there but another mistake of the opponent gave me my pawn back:

13. b4 Rxc3
14. Nb5 Rc4

He threatens my rook. I move him away and threaten the pawn at b4 at the same time.

15. a3 Re8

Which he supports with a3. Re8 prepares the plan of pushing my pawn at e5.

16. Rc1 e5
17. Nxe5 Rxc1

It is a great mistake to capture the pawn with the knight. Because I would surely not capture it back with my knight. If I did so (17... Nxe5, 18. Rxc4 ) and I cannot capture my rook back because I will loose my queen (18 ... xc4, 19. Qxd8). So the first thing I did it to capture his rook firstly so that his queen is out of my queens range.

18. Qxc1 Nxe5

And now I win one piece. In the end, chess is nothing more than maths??

19. Bxe5 Rxe5
20. f4 Re7
21. f5 gxf5

My teacher said it was not very good to capture his pawn here. Had I let him capture mine firstly I would have a better structure of pawns.

22. Rxf5 Rxe2

This pawn could have been captured since 2 moves I think, but I just saw it.

23. Qg5 Re1+

Qg5 does not threaten anything and even if Kh8 would have been better (to unpin the bishop) I played the rook at e1 with the hope that he will play Bf1 which he did. I dreaded the return of his rook at f1 but he did not see that and I was able to go on with my plan.


24. Bf1 d4

I am going for a new queen! But I also free my bishop.

25. Qd2 Be4?

He threatens my rook and my pawn at the same, so I thought I will threaten his rook as well. If (26. Qxe1 Bxf5) and the pawn is safe. But my teacher discovered that the white had a great opportunity to get a piece back with (26. Rxf3!! Bxf3, 27. Qxe1). I did not see that and so did my opponent :)).

The rest of the game is quite self explanatory. I have plenty opportunities of making checkmate. There are actually 2 checkmates between the moves which I had not discovered but I finally checkmated him without having to promote the pawn to queen. I did something somewhat spectacular like gifting a knight but the opponent did not see it or declined the sacrifice and I checkmated easily. We analysed this sacrifice and saw that black wins. I am not sure I had calculated all that in the game but I followed my instict more.

26. Qxe1 Bxf5
27. Qc1 d3
28. Qd2 Qd5
29. Nc7 Qd4+
30. Kh1 Be4+
31. Bg2 Bxg2+
32. Kxg2 Qe4+
33. Kf1 Ng4
34. h3 Nh2+
35. Kf2 Qf3+
36. Ke1 Qf1++

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home