Sunday, April 16, 2006

In search for the perfect black opening - Dragon's Sicilian

I know I should not be studying openings, I know that they are for more advanced chess players but they really do fascinate me. I believe they do teach me ways of understanding the strategy of chess. I am not sure why but it is more difficult to find interesting opening for the black and then once you get to know them, you find that almost all openings have been written to deal with the problems of the black. The fact that black has the second move is a disadvantage and black has to fight a lot to become even. Or maybe I am just bumping into openings that are suitable only for the black.

I have had a repulsion for the sicilian, maybe because my brother used to play it a lot and I never could beat him. I tried playing it when I was younger and too inexperienced and it did not lead to success. Many years passed until I decided to play chess again and now I wanted to get to know the sicilian a bit more, at least how to face it. The first interesting sicilian variant I came across had the e6 at some point. I admired this e6! What an amazing move! I played this variant again and again. Then I got a book called Dragon's Sicilian and started to read it. To my great disappointment the first analysis did not have any e6 .. it had d6! D6??? I could not believe it, nor could I understand its philosophy. What a pity I thought, maybe I should find out what the e6 is called and get a book on it. But the more I read into this book the more I started to find d6 "not that bad'. Now I have just read a few pages and I cant understand what I was thinking when I liked the e6 :))!! Probably both openings are good, but it is going to be the dragon's sicilian for me now and I only play this at yahoo games to get to know it more!

Which leaves me again with no opening for as white... but we cannot have it all, can we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home