Friday, April 28, 2006

Learning Chess Openings is a dull business

Learning openings is a dull task when it comes to reading whole books about them. I am not afraid to confess that I find this extremely boring. However, since I do like to learn openings I discovered a new and fun way of learning them. I visit chessgames.com browse through my favourite chess players and view their games. Before choosing a game to view I take into consideration the opening played and decide whether I want to learn that. Surprisingly this method does have good results. It is fun and most importantly it is quick! It takes more than the double time to set up a board, fetch a book and try to read through the chess ciphers. At least by viewing games one can concentrate upon learning and not on whether one reads the chess script in a correct way or not.

Today I discovered that the d6 of the black in the sicilian is not limited to the dragons variation. It seems that also the najdorf uses that and who know how many more? Now I am left wondering which move actually differiantates the dragon from the najdorf.... ??

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Inspirus said...

Well, Najdorf is characterized by the move 5...a6, while Dragon by 5...g6. Quite a different concept, Najdorf involves a set-up with ...e6, ...b5 and ...Bb7, while in Dragon black is fianchettoing his black bishop, with ...Bg7 and continues with ...Bd7 and the manoeuvre ...Rc8 and ...Nc6-e5-c4.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home